Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Prayer for a Dream

Father, Once I had such big dreams, so much anticipation of the future. Now no shimmering horizon beckons me: my days are lack-luster I see so little of lasting value in the daily round. Where is your plan for my life?
You have told us that without vision, we perish. So, Father in heaven, knowing that I can ask You to deposit in my mind and heart that particular dream, the special vision You have for my life.
And along with the dream, will You give me whatever graces, patience, and stamina it takes to see the dream through to fruition? I sense that may involve adventures I have not bargained for.
But I want to trust You
enough to follow even if you lead along new paths.
I admit to liking some of my ruts.
But I know that habit patterns
that seem cozy nests from the inside,
from Your vantage point
may be prison cells.
Lord,
if you break down
any prisons of mine
before I can see the stars and catch the vision,
then, Lord, begin the process now.
In joyous expectation.
Amen.